Sneakers and Suits: No, thank you
Last week, Evolving Style mused about wearing sneakers with a casual suit, saying, “Done well, it just looks good.” (Yes, he said much more than that and wrote a follow-up, too. Go read both, as they’re the reason why I’m writing this post.) …
3 quotes jump out at me
Perhaps these synthetic, rubber-soled, radioactive-neon tumors show their keen sense of rebelliousness and creativity — so eager to break rules! — where the contradiction is the appeal.
I don’t share those values and it’s my preference to wear clothing where each item shares a similar level of formality and function.
"I like wearing the appropriate clothing for the situation. I see no personal need for fashionable rebellion. "
I understand your point, but your argument is basically “I think it’s stupid and not classic and therefore wrong.” As someone in favor of fashionable rebellion depending on the context I think this is flimsy logic.
Looking at this through the lens of classic conservative dress one could argue you don’t need sneakers at all! They’re for bouncing balls and elementary schoolers! Not for a well dressed gentleman! At this point I’m reminded that conservative dress is more traditional not necessarily “correct.” And that sneakers have been around for plenty long enough to have evolved past their strictly sporting roots. When was the last time you saw someone working out in Chucks?
Also, I think it’s disengenuous to suggest that the original post encouraged “synthetic, rubber-soled, radioactive-neon tumors” as the right footwear for the look, especially since in post 2 Evolving Style specifically says:
the stripped down aesthetic of Vans or Cons is more subtle - even if in red - and explicitly about style, rather than sport. I have seen NB paired with suits in ways I appreciated, but it does generally have the equivalent feel of the woman with her heels in her handbag. It strikes me as an incomplete look, rather than a consciously insouciant twist on the suit.
So… you’re entitled to your opinion but I don’t think you’ve really listened to the discourse in this particular case.
EDIT: I will concede that all 3 looks pictured would look better with dress shoes. But I think there’s a third way here.
97 Notes/ Hide
- studioold reblogged this from thesilentist
- plagueuponyou likes this
- yourownkaishakunin reblogged this from thesilentist
- boltfashionginger likes this
- therde likes this
- cyberxxxjenna likes this
- techstartupswag likes this
- geekmonster likes this
- skywithblue likes this
- mrbushido likes this
- joekelly777 likes this
- gabcamoya reblogged this from mrmoderngentleman
- jayyebacon reblogged this from mrmoderngentleman
- edwards303 reblogged this from mrmoderngentleman and added:
- edwards303 likes this
- jdonovanlara likes this
- transient-reverie reblogged this from mrmoderngentleman
- mrmoderngentleman reblogged this from rakehound and added:
- trevster1 likes this
- machospelu likes this
- l33tclothing likes this
- jxmoments likes this
- life-is-music-to-me reblogged this from thesilentist
- buddhaandcoffee reblogged this from thesilentist
- stimsonm likes this
- tailormadestyle reblogged this from humblegentleman
- humblegentleman reblogged this from thesilentist and added:
- denzeljward reblogged this from thesilentist and added:
- officedandy likes this
- thelanguorofyouth reblogged this from thesilentist
- alwaysbewoke reblogged this from rakehound and added:
- toneross likes this
- stylishbydesign likes this
- humblegentleman likes this
- suitsandshirts likes this
- aguynamedlou reblogged this from thesilentist
- hommism reblogged this from rakehound
- stylesbitchly likes this
- nurenaissanceman reblogged this from rakehound
- nurenaissanceman likes this
- kelinton likes this
- rakehound reblogged this from thesilentist and added:
- justcallmezee likes this
- itmashorts likes this
- thekennychapman likes this
- neo-dandyism likes this
- superdanger-us likes this
- johnnygle likes this
- cumberbootie reblogged this from thesilentist